Friday, May 21, 2010

The Best Things Are Definitely Not Free

One of my favorite areas in Tokyo is the very posh Roppongi. I don't really care that I can't afford anything there. I just think that the landscape is beautifully-manicured...and I like that there are parks right smack in the middle of the very modern and very urban enclave. 


That structure in the background is a sleek contemporary art space called 21_21 Design Sight. There was an exhibition held there the day I went but I'd rather spend my 1000 yen elsewhere so I didn't go in but I stole this shot from the entrance:


However I did go to a design exhibition in the Midtown Tower (it's free). I was too lazy to decode all those characters so I was kinda clueless but basically, it's about Design in Japan 2010. 


The exhibition was rounded around 5 themes: Food and Study Design, Japanese Aircraft and Design (Honda and Mitsubishi are in the process of manufacturing their own aircrafts), Region and Design, Humid Design (don't ask me what this means)...BUT my favorite is the very simple Romance and Design by Masaaki Hiromura. 

To quote from the pamphlet,  "Romantic encounters can often give birth to a multitude of obstacles and contradictions, and our need to overcome such trials makes for intense communication. The graphic design of the future, meanwhile, will need to stir up strong emotions in the hearts of its recipients, to connect with its users."

The concept and medium are simple, a short movie documenting a pair of long distance lovers, and after a phone call they both started running toward each other. What's endearing is the decreasing distance (expressed in millimeters) as they run closer to each other until it reaches 0 (that's when they hug). 




After that, we had a lil stroll through the mall (forgot what it's called) but it's got great interior stores and even better traditional Japanese crafts stores. I'm a sucker for these traditional, handmade Japanese things...you know...lacquered dishes, metal teapots, wooden furniture, aromatic soaps even handmade paper! Of all the restraint I've had to exercise during the course of my stay here, this is the moment when I'm most proud of myself for managing to NOT buy anything. Anyways, my favorite has got to be this one:


After this mentally draining excursion--it physically hurts having to see all these beautiful things and not being able to OWN them :(((--I comforted myself by having a mini picnic in the park right behind the mall. There was a Wurstmart event goin' on. I figured, I could at least afford this:




No comments:

Post a Comment