Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sanja Matsuri, Asakusa

Part of the reason why I love Japan so much is their unflinching veneration towards their history and culture. That's what makes Japan such a fascinating culture to observe, I think. Express trains and automated machines aside, I find it absolutely moving that they are still very much attached to their roots. This is a society obsessed with Louis Vuitton and Western everything yet they travel domestically, eat locally grown and produced food, purchase Made in Japan products and (to the dismay of incoming foreigners) speak only Japanese. 


Anyways, my friends and I went to Asakusa a couple of weeks ago to check out one of the biggest annual festivals in Japan called Sanja Matsuri. Asakusa is famous for its gargantuan Hozomon gate and the Buddhist Senso-ji temple. For all my photographer friends, a lil trivia: the Senso-ji is dedicated to Kannon (or Guan Yin in Mandarin). The Kanji for Kannon (観音) means sight and sound, hence...Canon camera. Geddit? 


Well, as soon as we arrived we were greeted with a loud bellowing sound coming from the mikoshi (portable shrine) carrying mob. When we got closer, I was surprised to find that a lot of the ojisans weren't wearing pants. Okay, that sounds like an ignorant foreigner comment...i know it's a traditional thing but still...I was scarred for life ( I exaggerate but you know that :P ). Underwear sightings aside, I had a lot of fun watching the procession...all I saw were smiles...and the energy was infectious. 






you see what i mean?



You see that fountain above? That's where you wash your hands and rinse your mouth before you offer up your prayers. First your left hand, then your right then with the water in your left hand you rinse your mouth. This is similar to the Muslim wudhu. I'm sure you've seen this in Japanese dramas or movies, you know how they clap twice before prayer. Apparently that symbolizes your humility as you face the deities, it means you come with empty hands, bearing no weapons, with an open heart. Isn't that beautiful? 

Okay...now on to the fun part. The great thing about matsuris is of course the FOOOD!!! I almost died of excitement. I ate like a hippo, I couldn't help myself. 


Candied Fruits


Chocolate-covered Banana with Sprinkles





Caramel


1 comment:

  1. the takoyaki looks sooo good. the tighty whities not so much

    ReplyDelete