Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Whoa

I don't think you can ever prepare yourself for the sheer volume of everything in Tokyo, especially human traffic. It's overwhelming...seriously! You have to be alert and agile while navigating your way through the train stations. The Japanese are always rushing to get somewhere since tardiness is an absolute no-no here. No one walks at a leisurely pace, which is kinda stressful for someone coming from a place where everything is done at a leisurely pace. I took this picture on the way to school yesterday...i guess i'm not used to seeing that many people heading off to work at the same time. I guess it's kinda similar to peak hour traffic in Jakarta, just replace the cars with people.


There were moments where I just stood still in the middle of the crowd...just to take time to process things...before someone rams him/herself to me.

Another thing I noticed is the national obsession, perhaps even demand for options. The other day I was looking for a LAN cable...there were at least 2 full rows of LAN cables, 1 meter, 2m, 3m, 5m, 7m ones, then there were the thin ones, thick ones, round ones with smaller diameters...it's overwhelming! and the place where we bought the cable from was this 6-storey building called "Bic Camera," which is stocked full with every imaginable and unimaginable electronic products. 



Enough of the not-so-splendid observations of Tokyo. On a more cheerful note, the Japanese dress their pets better than they dress themselves (this is just a random over-generalization of course). Case in point: this cute fat Daschund decked in a sleeveless hoodie and backpack. 




Food-wise...I'm beginning to crave for junk food. After a week, Japanese food starts to taste a lil too clean for my palate :P So today I decided to have lunch at Lotteria (no, it's not a lottery center), a Japanese Burger King-like joint. Ordered a BLT.




Pardon the disconcerted tone of this entry. I haven't had the time or the enthusiasm to explore other areas...Been preoccupied with trying to find a suitable apartment...the procedure is just endless! Phewww!!!

1 comment: